16 May Federal Election 2019
The plumbing industry plays a significant role in maintaining the health and wellbeing of communities across Australia, with nearly 25,000 plumbing businesses operating across the country. Listed below are the five national priorities that we seek your commitment to on behalf of our members:
- Ensuring that all plumbing products sold, imported into and used in Australia must hold WaterMark certification.
- Implementing stronger national legislation and defined processes to guarantee security of payment for construction industry contractors and sub-contractors.
- Introducing Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and mandatory minimum four-year apprenticeships across the plumbing industry.
- Bringing plumbing industry employment legislation into line with standard business practices.
- Ensuring offsite constructed modules in the construction industry, commonly called pods, are certified by a licensed plumber if they involve plumbing works.
Plumbing and sanitation are the foundation of public health. In practice, this means our quality of life depends on the knowledge and skills of qualified plumbers, and fittings and fixtures that are fit for purpose. Master Plumbers Australia and New Zealand stands for the belief that regulated products, industry and properly qualified contractors and tradespeople have vital roles in the protection of the community. Please click here (document attached) to review a copy of the priorities document.
With the Federal Election fast approaching, MPA has written to all major political parties asking them to address each of our priorities above. Please see responses received below: